Friday, February 12, 2010

More than half way there

Ivan finished the second shelf unit after we arrived home from Cordoba today. Isn't it a thing of beauty?
We were gone until after 4 p.m. but after hauling all the stuff in from the car, we started on our respective tasks. While he put together the shelving I finished sorting and folding fabric. DONE! If I'd only gotten that done I would have felt good about the day, but once he installed the shelves I started moving his books into the study. Not all of them fit on the top shelf which we'd designated for them, but most did. He doesn't have many left in the living room.

Then I cleared off the bookshelf we'd had in the study because we're going to move it into the living room with its brothers. The study is just not big enough and we don't need it now with the desktop unit. It will be great to have that space to set up the ironing board when working on a quilt.

I started sorting through office supplies but the fatigue suddenly hit and it was 9:30 p.m. so I called it quits. I don't really feel like eating much...it's just too hot...but I kicked back with another tall glass of grapefruit soda and some chips and salsa. If I'm still awake at eleven o'clock I'm going to watch at least the beginning of the opening ceremony for the winter Olympics.

Hopefully we'll get the study finished tomorrow. There's still a lot of organizing to do but we feel like the bulk of the big stuff is done. Sort of depends on the extent to which we suffer DMD (decision-making disorder) about where-to-put-what on the shelves, in the closet, and so on. We've been living in this house over a year and I still spend a lot of time looking for things because I can't remember where I put it -- it just hasn't been long enough (and we haven't had adequate storage) for everything to have its place.

Like the heating pad. I woke up with a neck ache early last weekend and never did find it; Ivan finally un-earthed it from our closet (where I'd already looked. TWICE!).

But little-by-little we're getting settled. I'm sure being more organized in the study/sewing room will help tremendously.

8 comments:

Mari said...

The shelving unit looks great! I can't wait to see it all filled up.
I think grapefruit soda sounds really good. Is that a local thing there?
PS - yes - 1986 was a good year!

SusanD said...

Those are great looking shelves. Your hubby did a fantastic job. Thanks for sharing. Blessings, SusanD

sara said...

looks great. can't wait to see the finished product!!!

chips and salsa always sound good in my book! :)

riTa Koch said...

Beautiful shelves. What a blessing!
We've been doing similar things. I've been through most of our books, sorting, reshelving, giving away, finding much forgotten stuff, and experiencing a lot of DMD as well. But it's looking better. As they say, "Poco a poco se va lejos."

Skoots1moM said...

great job...you're so gonna love using them...
come see my latest video...caught some SOUNDS of the snow for you!
:)

Denise said...

I am so sure that you both will need more than a heating pad, but I am glad you found it! I too suffer from DMD. I just did not know what the official diagnosis was titled.
Hopefully watching the winter olympics will make you feel cooler! :o)

Betty W said...

The shelves look great. I´m sure that will be a big help!
I can´t wait to see the finished rooms. You´ll have to show us some pics.

Kat said...

Hi Kim~
I haven't been able to find the info to contact you directly, but I'm happy to let you know you won our book giveaway!
Will you please let us know where to send the book to?
Congratulations from the Bobwhites!