Thursday, March 14, 2013

Cold and Hungry

Day Two of cold, rainy weather and you'll find me bundled up out in the garage, thankful the internet is finally working (after several days of inaction), so I can get some work done. It's time for those dreaded expense reports once again and I always have to look up some info online in order to finish them.

It really isn't too bad out here in the garage, especially since I dried a load of laundry in the dryer, which generated some heat while it was going. But that load finished a while ago so I'm still wearing a sweat jacket under a light-weight winter coat and have a fleece blanket draped over my jean-clad legs.

We also broke down and turned on the wall heater in the casita. Or should I say Ivan got tired of my incessant whining and lit it up?

[Although even he's layered up in an effort to ward off the cold while he studies.]

It's not even that it is that cold (by Michigan standards, anyway). It did get down in the 40s overnight, but was 55 degrees by mid-morning (and 60 degrees inside the casita) but it's the damp kind of cold that seems to penetrate your very bones.

Okay, enough about our damp, chilly days. Let's talk about food!

I'm in a food rut. I haven't been motivated to do much in the kitchen since our return from the states, so we've gotten by on a lot of homemade bread (made by Ivan, not me) and what I'd call pick-me-up meals. Egg salad on bread, open-faced broiled sandwiches, peanut butter and banana sandwiches... Pizza is on the menu for tonight -- which, if you think about it, is basically a ginormous open-faced sandwich of sorts.

I should go look at my Pinterest boards for inspiration, but you can bet that by the time I finish this post (or before) the internet will go down again. Plus, a lot of what I pinned I can't really make here. I pinned them to try while we're in the U.S. where I can get the ingredients.

So tell me, what's been your favorite meal lately? You get bonus points if it's suited for cold, rainy weather!

6 comments:

The Bug said...

Um, we had pizza for dinner last night :)

I like to have "stoup" (soup/stew) in all weathers. Basically we just take tinned beef, add various cans of tomatoes & whatever veggies we're in the mood for (I like lima beans & corn). Sometimes Mike adds a dash of cinnamon. Sometimes we add rice or eat it over cornbread. Nothing fancy.

Betty W said...

When is that cold weather going to arrive here? I'll take it!

Mari said...

I made stew this week - perfect for that kind of weather!

Ari Glo said...

I cooked white northern beans in my pressure cooker for 15 minutes and made a very plain, easy meal for Joe and I: Ham, white beans, and potatoes with some seasonings. Hit the spot for us on this cold, chilly day north of you guys. And a little bit of homemade applesauce with a tad of honey and cinnamon...like a little Taste of Home for me...oh...and some great whole wheat buns from the Panaderia with YOUR GREAT homemade jelly...another Taste of Home. Thanks for the jelly.

Skoots1moM said...

beef mostaccioli...i posted the recipe in my TASTY PICS album...
ya'll need some soupe...that would be filling with the rain falling

glad your internet's up

riTa Koch said...

Just back from Monday Night Meal. Stephan made a wonderful soup-creamy, mushroom potato. I think it didn't have a name, just whatever he found in the fridge. And Karen's bread was picture perfect, and delicious!
Cold here too. Heaviest snowfall of the winter.