Saturday, January 17, 2015

Quick and Easy, Rich and Creamy Chocolate Pudding

Even though we're experiencing a milder-than-normal January doesn't mean I'm in any hurry to turn on my oven. And since the upper element in the toaster oven burned out, I'm avoiding all recipes that have to be baked, roasted or broiled. I'll use my crockpot on occasion, but do you realize those things actually put out a lot of heat too?

I have a few tried-and-true dessert recipes that don't require any oven time, that I typically make when we have company over: no bake cookies, chocolate lasagna, tiramisu, or homemade ice cream. But sometimes I want something chocolatey and I want it quick. That's where this recipe from The Happy Housewife comes in. Because, start to finish? Ten minutes!

Chocolate Pudding

Ingredients:
2 cups milk
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
3 Tablespoons corn starch
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:
In a medium sauce pan, whisk together milk (I use low-fat and it doesn't affect the creaminess at all), sugar, cocoa powder (we prefer the dark), and corn starch. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it comes to a boil. Boil two minutes, continuing to stir constantly, remove from heat and add vanilla, mixing well. Pour into dessert dishes.

Now, how easy and quick is that?!

If you have the will power, put plastic wrap on top of the pudding (push it right into the pudding) to prevent a skin from forming, and chill for a few hours. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream if you so desire.

But me? I prefer my chocolate pudding piping hot! Right-out-of -the-pan-steaming-so-you-have-to-be-careful-or-you'll-burn-your-mouth hot.  I also like to eat it with the tiny spoons typically used to add sugar to coffee or tea. Makes it last longer :)

This recipe makes one round of hot pudding, followed by a second of cold pudding, for the two of us. It's also the perfect amount for an 8x8 pan of chocolate lasagna.

You're welcome.