Friday, May 25, 2012

Book Rave

This week I finished a really fun book!
360 Degrees Longitude: One Family's Journey Around The World was hard to put down, and I found myself reading it every spare minute, even while cooking :)  The writing was clean, concise and beautifully descriptive without being overly so. The author, John Higham, is a "rocket scientist" and pretty organized guy, yet they still found themselves in interesting predicaments time after time. Made for very amusing anecdotes! 

It brought to mind another travel book I read years ago, Hey Mom, Can I Ride My Bike Across America: Five Kids Meet Their Country. Both books shine with details of the good, the bad, and the truly horrible parts of travel without dwelling on them and turning it into a whine fest. These are real people doing real things, and the writing is so engaging you feel as if you're along for the ride.

Just about every leg of their journey had challenges but they always found something positive in each experience. Their stories from each continent made my already itchy feet want to hit the road :)  

I read 360 Degrees while in Sta. Rosa where we don't have internet, but the book is chock full of links to google earth that I look forward to accessing now that we're home, so I can read/see photos, video and stories that couldn't be included in the book.

Summer approaches and if you enjoy reading true adventures, you'll want to add this book to your list.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to add that to my list. Thanks for the recommendation!