I've enjoyed looking at what other people have created on the CSI Project Link Ups, and decided to jump in and participate since this one is all about fabric and sewing. In fact, I'm going to post TWICE today as part of this challenge since I couldn't decide on one project so I'm entering two :)
First up: the curtains in our dining room. When we initially looked at this house it was winter and walking into this lovely room of windows with the sunlight flooding in made me want to rent it right then and there. I've mentioned a time or thirteen how much I love the sunny winter skies here (after twenty years of gray Michigan winters) but unless the sun is allowed into the house, it doesn't do a lot of good, does it? So yes, absolutely luuuuurved this room!
QUICK! -- before summer hit and we sweltered in our un-air-conditioned house with all those lovely windows that would let the SEARING sun turn our home into a sauna.
Being a confirmed fabricaholic, I had brought a few *ahem* boxes of fabric with us when we moved overseas. Okay, okay, I brought something like a dozen boxes of the stuff but who's counting, anyway? That stash mentality came in handy when I needed to make these curtains! I scrounged through the boxes and found 12 yards of a lovely home decor fabric in a blue and green plaid that I'd bought on clearance for $3/yard at Joann Fabrics the year before. Also re-discovered 20 yards of blue damask I'd bought on eBay a good eight years before (one of those late night, insomniac impulse purchases that was a smokin' hot deal but then I had absolutely no idea what to use it for). Although the fabrics didn't match in appearance or texture -- the plaid is very smooth with a slight sheen while the damask has the slightly raised floral design -- they did coordinate quite well and I decided that was sufficient.
MUCHA TELA for the envisioned floor-to-ceiling panels and the combined yardage was perfect for my purposes. I had never made pinch pleat drapes before but found some great tutorial videos on youtube. I'm also not the greatest at math but after much deliberation I thought I had the right measurements and began cutting and sewing. I made one drapery panel first to see if everything was copacetic.
(excuse the clothespin but it was the only thing I could think of to keep the curtain turned in order to take the photo)They slide open easily and hang nicely to the sides.
Not sure what we'll do with all these curtains when we build our own place since we've decided to go neutral throughout the main living areas with shades of brown from cream to chocolate with an aqua blue accent. After all the time I spent making them, I'm tempted to hang onto them "in case" but the practical part of me says it makes more sense to try and sell them so somebody else can enjoy them. Because when we build and move into our own home, I am hoping we don't have to move again for a LONG, LONG, LONG time.
Next up: a floral fabric purse and flower pin.