Sunday, July 18, 2010

Project 365, Week 29

Contrary to previous weeks, I have MORE than my allotted seven photos for this week's Project 365. Sorry, but a few days there were just too many and I was unable to choose only one.

We were in Sta. Rosa this week, for a belated anniversary getaway (the anniversary was in May). The day we arrived it was in the 70s and absolutely beautiful. We enjoyed a couple of days like that and then it turned COLD. Brrrrrr! Dropped about 30-40 degrees and stayed there. Winter had finally arrived!

But back to the beginning. Last Sunday we took a long walk around Belgrano and saw these flowers. I thought it was interesting that there were no leaves on this bush but scads of lovely pink blossoms.
And then to see irises in full bloom in winter! C.R.A.Z.Y. but fun.
By the time we visited our favorite tea shop on Tuesday, the colder weather had prompted the owner to start a fire in the fireplace.
Our favorite spot is right next to that, on the comfy couch and chairs. We always settle in for a good long stay, sipping tea or coffee, splurging on a decadent dessert (my favorite is the brown sugar apple torte) and enjoying some fairly fast internet speeds while we catch up on e-mails. And blogs, of course :)

Despite the frigid temperatures, we still took long walks every day, paying particular attention to the architecture of the homes we passed. We were struck by how out-of-place this home looked -- not at all what you'd expect to find here.
It's more suited to the neighboring German community of Belgrano. But I guess it's to be expected that we'll experience a spill-over into Sta. Rosa since the towns are so close, but property prices are significantly lower in Sta. Rosa.

We snapped this photo because we really like the variegated roof tiles...always on the lookout for ideas we can incorporate should we end up building our own house.
What do you think? Like the look?

Our last full day of vacation was spent hunkered down inside due to the constant precipitation outside. We woke to snow mixed with rain, then rain, back to snow...all day it was back and forth with some sleet thrown in on occasion. I actually didn't take a photo that day. We played with the embroidery function on my sewing machine, as Ivan figured out how to operate the system. I read a very funny kid's book I'd downloaded for free from amazon (Milrose Munce and the Den of Professional Help). But on the way home Friday we stopped to snap photos of the snow on the sierras.
I'm pretty sure I had a photo last year of the traditional snowman-on-the-hood-of-the-car but I'm including another one this year.
I just think it's a fun tradition, as long as the snowman isn't so large it obscures the sightline for the driver (which I've witnessed a few times). We saw a couple of cars pulled over with the occupants busy creating their own snowman-on-the-hood.

Saturday was so cold and parents were concerned about the kids being outside all day at the soccer tournament so plans were changed -- and they went bowling instead!
Here's Ivan and Lucas taking their turns. Most of the kids had never been bowling before and they had a blast. Definitely a good winter activity.
And that's our week. We arrived in Sta. Rosa in summer and left in winter -- or at least that's how it felt -- from the 70s to the 30s. I'm really glad I had the forethought to take my long johns! :)

14 comments:

Betty W said...

Oh yeah. Winter has definitely arrived here too! Luckily no snow, but freeeezzing temps!
I´m glad the youth were able to have their tournament indoors. Looks like fun.
I like the houses you took pics of. The first one is more my taste. Maybe it´s my german roots... :)

riTa Koch said...

What an interesting mix--blossoms, irises, snow and snowmen on hoods!
Loved all the photos.
So glad you had a relaxing week.
The bowling-first--great fun!

Mari said...

I really enjoyed your photos this week. It's so strange to think of you getting this snow, when it's soooo hot here!
The fireplace looks so cozy and I do like those roof tiles. The snowman on the hood is so funny! When winter comes, I will have to try that.

Tori said...

What a great mix of shots! I love the "Germanesque" house and the roof of the other one was so neat!
Glad you had a nice get-a-way. It's funny to be sitting here in hot humid weather and seeing the fire burning. I love how creative God is with the seasons!
The snowmen on the hoods is hilarious! I don't think that tradition could work here in Indiana!! Our snowmen would definitely hinder views!!
Bowling is a great way to spend cold days! Hot ones too!
Have a super week!

sara said...

it is just so weird to think about it being winter ANYwhere right now!

Love the snow man tradition!!!

the tile roof is beautiful. you actually see a lot of that in AZ where I grew up.

I will have to down load that book..I got a Kindle for my anniversary!!! and free is perfect!

stay warm!

sara said...

guess what?! that book is not available for US customers!!! what?

McCrakensx4 said...

Wow that is crazy...so warm to snow. Love the pics though. And bowling is so much fun...glad they were able to experience it! Hope you have a good week!

RaD said...

The roof tiles are a yes, they look nice.

Love the snowman on the hood, I think that's kind of a fun tradition!

The Bug said...

I like the look of that roof a lot. I was sad, however, to not see a picture of your favorite dessert :)

Skoots1moM said...

you enjoyed your anniversary getaway...wooohoo!
Belgrano...so pretty!

comfy couch and chairs...yes!
brown sugar apple torte...sounds wonderful, too!
Variegated roof tiles...so nice...love that house!

how's the embroidery function going?

Hood-of-the-car snowman is rocking with his soccer toboggan

we're having camp meeting @ our campground all week...wish you were here to meet everyone, hear the preaching and especially to eat all the home cooking!

Debbie said...

I think a little snowman would be fun! What a great idea.

Lhoyt said...

So how about a german-style house like the first one, with the mixed tile roof. You could say it was a swiss chalet with a twist.

The Davidson Den said...

Your tea shop sounds just wonderful. Especially with the fire in the fireplace.

I really like that roof!

You know what?! I've never heard of the snowman-on-the-hood tradition!! Maybe because I'm from Arkansas. We don't get enough snow for long enough, I guess, for anyone to get quite THAT creative! LOL!

Jen T said...

The houses are beautiful! Snowmen on the hood is hilarious!! IF we ever get snow, I'm going for it.