Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Not Everyone Is Having A Merry Christmas

Dear friends, missionaries in Ireland, made an emergency trip to the U.S. this past weekend when their son was hospitalized and daughter-in-law died from carbon monoxide poisoning. Thankfully their grandson is fine. But what a heartbreaking way to spend Christmas!

The police are now involved in a criminal negligence investigation. They believe that the cause was a faulty heating system in the apartment that this young couple had recently rented. Evidently another renter moved out after being told by her doctor that she was breathing carbon monoxide. She told the landlord about it and he didn't do anything to change the situation.

We're thankful to hear how their community has rallied around, holding two separate fund raisers to help with funeral expenses. There may be people like the landlord who never look beyond the bottom line, but there are many more who see a need and respond because their hearts are tender.

We hurt for this family. They join the legion for whom Christmas will always bring back memories of tragedy and loss.

Situations like this should make us all the more thankful for the incredible gift that the very first Christmas brought. Yes, a young wife and mother is dead. But because she believed and accepted the gift of salvation that Christ offered, she is now with the same Lord who came to earth two thousand years ago. "And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth." John 1:14

4 comments:

Mari said...

That is so sad, and so hard to deal with at this time. I'll be praying for that family.

Elizabeth said...

Praise the Lord that she was saved... well be sure to keep them in our prayers...

Robin Lambright said...

Ditto! I will be praying for this family!
Blessings'
Robin

Lhoyt said...

So Sad...and such a heavy burden of responsibility for landlords. No amount of litigation can bring the mother and daughter back, and the solution might have been a very simple repair. May God deal with this and bring glory to Himself even in this heartbreak!!