Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Another Quilting Tuesday

Snip, snip, snip.
That's how I spent my morning, snipping away at the open seams on the lap quilt I'm making for my husband. When I'm done snipping I'll wash and dry it a couple of times, to really fluff out those seams for a nice "rag" look.
But all this snipping is rough on your scissor fingers, so frequent breaks are necessary.
Breaks to eat brownies, watch HGTV, and catch up on my favorite blogs. Preferably all at the same time. I can do this, because I am a ninja at multi-tasking when it comes to eating, watching TV and surfing the internet.
Only one of my quilting buddies made it out today and she had to leave early to take a child to the doctor. But since I set aside this day for quilting, I plan to use it for that. Of course there are many other things I could be doing, but this is what I want to be doing :-) 'Cause I really would like to give Ivan his birthday gift before another birthday rolls around.
That sort of thing has happened before. I started a quilt for my sister in January 2006 and two birthdays went by before she finally got it for Christmas last year.
And a quilt I gave my daughter for her 17th birthday I actually finished just before her 18th.
Probably not a good idea to make that a habit.
I'm pretty excited about looking for a new sewing machine. Or a new "refurbished" one. I've owned a few machines over the years and have never had one I liked. So I'm putting a lot of thought and research into this one. I'm not a "seamstress" at all. I only use it for quilting. So far only piecing, but I'd like to try my hand at machine quilting. I'm looking at Pfaffs with IDF (integrated dual feed) for that very reason.
I love hand quilting, but admit there are times when it would be nice to be able to use the machine.
Seems like that would help minimize the time it takes me to finish a quilt.
At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

No comments: