Wednesday, September 2, 2009

It's raining!!!

Everyone is pretty excited about the rain. Not only because we haven't had any in over a month and everything was dry as a bone and brown, but because it's allowing the fire fighters to finally gain an upper hand.

It's not a hard rain, more like the drizzly, misty kind so common in Ireland. My favorite kind. Not sure it's the best to fight fires but we'll take whatever we can get.

I read about one group of fire fighters who were suddenly surrounded by fire so they jumped into a nearby pool, surviving with only minor burns. That happened Saturday. So yes, I think it's safe to say the bomberos are especially grateful for the rain.

When I was signing in this morning I happened to notice that this is my 492nd post (which means #500 is coming up soon) AND sometime last month I passed 25,000 visitors on my stat counter, PLUS I'm approaching my 2nd anniversary with this blog.

Don't you think all that deserves some sort of celebration?

Me too!

Any suggestions? A give-away is always good. But I'm thinking we need more than that. Hmmmmm. In the next few days I'll let you know just how we're going to celebrate.

Haven't been online much the last few days. I figure that's okay since everyone is probably busy doing the back-to-school thing and you're likely not on either. September was always a crazy month for our family; second busiest after December. Along with school starting, we had our daughter's birthday and the county fair with 4-H and all that entailed.

I miss it.

Not that we're not busy; it's just a different kind of busy -- the regular round of Spanish classes, Bible studies, visiting with people in their homes or ours, weekly art class... September doesn't bring any changes. School started back in March; no county fairs, but there are folklore festivals.

Mainly I miss my kids. This week our son had surgery on his wrist and he's still in a world of hurt from that. Our daughter started what will be her last semester of college and in exactly one week she'll celebrate her 23rd birthday.

I'd really like to be able to hug them both right now.

But you know what's really cool? The internet makes it possible for us to easily stay in touch even though we're 6000 miles apart. So kids, I'm sending you virtual hugs. Great big bear hugs!

And to everyone else I want to say how glad I am that you stopped by. Family, friends from back home, friends from churches that support us, friends I've made in the blogging community... thanks to each and every one of you. It makes being so far away a lot easier.

6 comments:

SusanD said...

So glad for the rain you are getting. It can be very difficult being far away from family. I've lived two or more states away from my family all of my adult life. So here's a virtual hug for you, my sister. Blessings, SusanD

{{hugs}}

Christy Duffy said...

Sending you a big hug back!

sara said...

yea for rain!!!

I really hope it helps the fire fighting!

The internet is so great now. i remember being in college (1/2 way across the country from my parents). I only talked to them every 2 weeks or in a letter. I don't know how they did it...I love being able to txt and email my daughter!!!

(()hugs))))

Mari said...

I love the internet too. It helps me keep in touch with my son and has let me make new friends like you!
Happy you are getting rain and hooray for all those posts!

riTa Koch said...

Rain, rain, stay, stay, stay.
Come again another day.

Kim, Kim, write away.
Come again every day.

Helen Anderson said...

Kim,
I read your blog everyday and it is just like working with you again. I can hear you in my head as I read along. Thank you for sharing your life with us on here.

Hugs-n-Love,
Helen