Saturday, September 19, 2009

Saturday randomness because that's all I've got

Attempt #2 at No Bake Cookies failed again. But at least these tasted good so we ate 'em with a spoon :-) After I made them I hopped online to read a few blogs and saw that Linda had posted her recipe -- which I'll try next time. Hers calls for for the addition of peanut butter which sounds wonderful.

Earlier this week we received a call about the house in Sta. Rosa; something was wrong with the water -- as in, there was none. So yesterday Ivan and Abram went out and discovered the problem was minor (the outlet which the pump plugs into was messed up) so they fixed that and a few other things. Like replacing the drainage pipe on the water heater because it had caught fire and melted. Not a good thing, but again, a relatively easy fix. They actually took care of several chores we'd had pending so it was a productive trip. When they returned they brought back a couple of guys to help with the soccer tournament today.

This afternoon we're hosting an informal soccer tournament for whoever wants to play. Ivan and our co-worker are over at the playing fields now. I'm heading over shortly with two sheet cakes and some Tang for merienda. 

I started the expense reports over a week ago. And stalled. And have not returned to finish them yet. All that's left is to fill in the mileage reports. Easy. Really easy. But apparently I'm having issues with paperwork at the moment. Whenever I pass the pile on the desk I quickly avert my eyes. If I don't see it, it's not there.

The empty lot next door wasn't really empty. It was full of big pieces of metal, a couple of business signs and a long 40' container, among other things. Over the past couple months they've been coming with trucks and hauling stuff away, little by little. Today they finally came and took the long 40' container. It was an entertaining 1/2 hour while they jockeyed it through the gate and maneuvered it onto the street. Our street isn't that wide so it was a lot of back and forth, back and forth. Like when you've parallel parked and you go to leave and discover the cars in front and back of you are almost bumper-to-bumper with your car.

I guess this means they'll soon be breaking ground to build next door. Should be fun to have front row seats to a construction project.

One of our rose bushes has already produced a bloom this season!

My new art project is not going as planned but I'm liking the direction it has taken. It's going to be a collage: técnica mixta with paint and found objects. I'm normally a very task-oriented person and like a purpose for my projects so taking this art class and doing things just to practice what I'm learning has been a challenge. I know practicing is a valid purpose in and of itself, but it seems kind of lame to me.

After not having time to sew for over a month, I grabbed an hour today and started a small Christmas quilt. I've been mulling ideas and playing with sketches until I knew what I wanted to do. It feels wonderful to get back to the sewing machine!

Now I must go finish getting things together for merienda. Have a great weekend!

8 comments:

Robin Lambright said...

I didn't take my pots and pans but I did head out (in the pouring rain) to the "Save The Library Rally" this morning.

Have a great weekend!

Blessings
Robin

Debbie said...

I am so envious of you for being so organized and starting on Christmas already!
Sorry the cookies didn't work. I'm glad you salvaged them though:)

Mari said...

I went and looked at Linda's recipe and that's the one I use. We like it - hope you do too!

Heidi said...

Believe it or not, I once had a no-bake carrot cake that was delicious. I think it's wonderful that you are working on your Christmas quilt already! If I were making a Christmas quilt, I would have needed to start it in September of 2005.

sara said...

You know my kids thought the same thing, Jason would walk through the room with his hands over his eyes (when he was supposed to be in bed)...if he couldn't see us then surely we couldn't see him!!! :) It didn't work for him either!

SusanD said...

I'd love to see pictures of your collage. Maybe you can post some "in progress" photos. I've been thinking about Christmas a lot lately. Christmas in a new home will be very exciting. Blessings, SusanD

riTa Koch said...

I try the don't-see/not-there approach all the time. In fact, I'm doing it right now. The house is begging to be cleaned and i am ignoring it, closing both eyes and ears. But hey, i haven't been able to visit my favorite blogs for soooo long! I think they are shouting louder.
Soccer outreach, great opportunity!
(lots of work for you)
Sewing project, so fulfilling.
Thanks, Ivan, for all the SR repairs!

Anonymous said...

All the best for the next home naked cookies, work keeps piling up as we try to ignore our concise.


Freedom Debt Relief Reviews