1. Gingerbread: For or against? Discuss. Most definitely FOR. Only a Scrooge could be against gingerbread. Especially in the form of houses or other buildings with lots of frosting and candy included.
2. Is it important to you to always stay (live) close to family? Obviously not. I miss my family a LOT but it's more important to live where God wants us. (That sounded all self-righteousy and I didn't mean it that way at all.)
3. Which holiday pretend character do you wish really existed? Rudolf. Or maybe Frostie. No, Charlie Brown. Jeesh, this question is harder than I thought.
4. Which holiday movie best represents how you feel about Christmas or life? The Homecoming. It portrayed how circumstances do not need to dictate attitude, especially at Christmas. Besides, that movie made me want to be a Walton. Or marry one -- I'm sure I'm not the only middle-aged woman who used to have a crush on John Boy.
5. Is there a particular Christmas song that you're enjoying now? Any that you're tired of? I cannot believe I'm writing this, but I actually miss not hearing "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer". Way overplayed in the U.S. but haven't heard it a single time this year. Am currently enjoying the CD by Kim Robertson, Celtic Christmas II. Fits my mellow mood today.
6. What is your favorite way to remember those less fortunate at Christmastime? Always enjoyed participating in both the Christmas Shoebox project run by Samaritan's Purse as well as Angel Tree. Haven't heard of any type of program we might get involved with here yet, and not sure what is acceptable culturally.
7. Does it upset you to see "Xmas" instead of Christmas? How about "Happy Holidays" etc., instead of "Merry Christmas?" It seems the brouhaha over what we call Christmas sometimes overshadows what we should be communicating about the day. Same goes with the debate over nativity displays on public property. Getting all angry and defensive does not serve the cause of Christ in my opinion. I think our hearts are in the right place, I'm just not sure about the rhetoric.
8. How many Christmas programs are you attending this month? None. Had hoped to see The Nutcracker Ballet but it's not happening in our province this year. Maybe next!
9. Are you dreaming of a white Christmas? Any chance of that dream becoming a reality? Would love a white Christmas -- although that's the ONLY day I'd like it to snow :-) Definitely NOT happening here in the southern hemisphere where the average daily temperature hovers in the high 80s, low 90s.
10. Tell me about a Christmas present you received as a child. Pics are always nice. The Imagination doll house with each transparent room a different color, and outfitted with modern style furniture.
My sister and I enjoyed hours of entertainment with this doll house!
11. How many Christmas parties are you attending this month? They don't have Christmas parties like we're used to in the U.S. -- with lots of decorations and festive foods -- but there are informal get-togethers with friends for choripan or pizza.
12. How do you keep yourself centered on the significance of Christmas? In years past we rarely opened gifts on Christmas but instead waited until January 6th, Dia de Los Reyes Magos (although we'd let the kids open one gift on Christmas Eve). On Christmas day we'd bake a birthday cake for Jesus and read the Christmas story in Luke 2. Probably won't bake a birthday cake since I have no desire to turn the oven on in this weather, but we'll definitely be reading the Christmas story in Luke 2.
On a totally separate note...my daughter is traveling today and tomorrow so would appreciate your prayers for no delays, smooth connections and safe travel. Thanks! I CAN HARDLY WAIT TO SEE HER! If all goes as planned, we'll be picking her up at the airport at 3:25 tomorrow morning. Woot!