Friday, June 6, 2008

Florida Is Hot!

We arrived in Orlando on Wednesday evening and I think it was around 88 degrees. Yesterday it was up around 98. And humid! Whew!

We're enjoying the time with our cousin. Very different -- and difficult -- without her husband here. Have been sharing stories of Jim, remembering his funny quirks and what he meant to so many people. That's been good. When death happens so suddenly and unexpectedly it's like being at sea with the rudder broken and no oars. It takes time to assimilate the loss and get back on course. Because we were not able to come for the funeral, this time is just what we needed. To laugh and share and cry.

Someone gave Beth a book that I'm now reading. "How to help a grieving friend" by Stephanie Grace Whitson. EXCELLENT book! I'd recommend it to anyone whose friend or loved one has suffered a loss. I'm pretty good at saying the wrong thing at the wrong time. This book is helping me see what's okay and what's not. It's written by a woman who lost her best friend and a few years later her husband. She knows from whence she speaks.

I'll be back tomorrow with a recipe to share in the Saturday Stirrings exchange. I missed the last two weeks because we were traveling each Saturday. Looking forward to getting back into the swing of things. Not sure what recipe yet. It'll have to be one I've committed to memory since I'm not near my cookbooks or recipe file. Hasta manana!

No comments: