Friday, June 20, 2008

My Son ROCKS!

I'm feeling dumb and proud at the same time. Last night I got an e-mail from my son only it wasn't really. Since it was a very nasty e-mail I knew it wasn't him so I e-mailed to let him know he had "a virus or had gotten slammed or whatever it's called" {yeah, I'm that computer illiterate}. E-mailing him? Not.Real.Smart.

So today we were up and out early, but I e-mailed him about the photo problem from my earlier post before we left. The search for a swimsuit took up the morning and when I went to pick hubby up at Panera at lunch, he said he'd talked to the son who had not known about the e-mail problem until after 9 a.m. today. 'Cause the hacker (oh yeah, it's called hacking!) had the son's e-mails re-directed to himself. Duh! If I'd thought about it at all, I would have considered that possibility.

And the son only found out AFTER A CUSTOMER CALLED THE OFFICE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT THE NASTY E-MAIL. If I'd only thought to CALL HIM INSTEAD last night, he would have found out within half an hour and probably prevented the hacker from also hijacking his blog. Yes, his BLOG!

The hubby alerted the son to the blog problem at lunchtime. The blog problem had something to do with a layout liquid file and a tag liquid file with a js line. [Just typing that computer jargon causes severe twitching. I'm SO GLAD the son deals with stuff like this SO I DON'T HAVE TO.] But even the complicated blog problem he had fixed in about an hour.

And then? Well.Let.Me.Just.Tell.You.What.Then. THEN the son tracked down that hacker! Yes he did. I'm so proud of my boy! By mid-afternoon he was on the phone to to the server the hacker had used. How cool is that?

But the son is emphasizing again HOW IMPORTANT IT IS TO HAVE A GOOD PASSWORD. So I don't know about you, but I'm gonna think real, real hard to come up with a ninja password ASAP!

1 comment:

JonMagic said...

Mom, you're the best :-) Even if you had contacted me last night, the only thing I could have done about the email would have been to send out that apology letter early and change my password. There is a good chance I wouldn't have even thought to change my blog password (since I didn't really think about it this morning until Dad called me)... Oh well, live and learn. Thanks for the nice writeup anyways... I'm going to leave a link to my blog post in the comments here in case someone wants to read about my experience... http://jonmagic.com/2008/6/20/getting-hacked