Monday, November 17, 2008

Final Episode of Fall Into Flavor Features Fabulous Baked Beans

Yes, the show is over. Today is the last chance to catch some amazingly delicious recipes at the Fall Into Flavor carnival that Linda from 2nd Cup of Coffee has been hosting. But what a finale! Y'all be sure and git, I say GIT yourself over there and don't miss a single solitary calorie-laden post.

I am a huge fan of the bean. Fresh beans, dried beans, cooked beans, steamed beans, roasted beans...Did I ever tell you that I spent my very first paycheck buying 80 lb. of pinto beans? Oh yes I did! Nothing like a pot of "soup beans" and cornbread! One of my absolute favorite meals.

Today I'm sharing another favorite bean recipe. I had never had a home-baked bean until I was in my thirties. Really! Like most of you I grew up on Van Camp pork & beans. This, my interwebby friends, is the recipe I used for that first ever heavenly-baked-in-a-pot-of-brown-sugar-deliciousness. I have made it in a crockpot overnight, but prefer it baked in a dutch oven because the sugar on the edges caramelizes a little. Mmmmm, mmmm good! BUT, gotta say, cooking this in the crockpot eliminates the need to stir every so often and add more liquid so that might be the preferred method for busy moms. Just layin' out the options. However you choose to make it, you will enjoy the end result!

BAKED BEANS
1 lb. small white dried beans
1/2 c. maple syrup (or molasses)
2/3 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. finely chopped onion
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 lb. salt pork, scored and cut into chunks
hot water as needed
Soak beans overnight in water to cover by three times the depth of the beans.
Drain beans and put them in a pot, adding more water to amply cover. Bring the water to a slow boil and simmer, partially covered, until softened but not cooked through, about 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 275°
Drain beans well and transfer to a casserole dish with lid (dutch oven if you have one).
Add remaining ingredients and stir to mix. Add hot water to cover beans by 1 inch. Partially cover pot. Bake 5-6 hours, stirring occasionally and adding more water as needed to keep beans moist.

These are head and shoulders above any canned bean you can buy. And they're really easy to make. This makes a great side dish to any kind of meat, but especially pork. You can use the leftover beans and add chopped up hot dogs to make a mean beanie-weenie casserole for the kids' lunch, too.

And if you need a really good sweet potato recipe for Thanksgiving, I posted one Saturday. Just sayin'. Two for the price of one today!

6 comments:

Debbie said...

I'm a big fan of the magical fruit as well. Cheap, tasty, full of nutrition. What's not to like?

Teresa said...

Okay, I'm 42 and have probably never had "real" baked beans. I still make the Van Camp's version! I'll have to give these a try!

Smelling Coffee said...

Hi Kim~ Thanks for visiting Smelling Coffee! I've never made "real baked beans" like you describe, but plan to save this recipe and try it one day. :-)

Sorry you can't get Velveta where you are... Can you get canned cheese soup? My mom used to substitute it for velveta sometimes. Not as tasty, but it could work.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

MMmmmm. That story about the first paycheck? Girl, you need to devote a whole post explaining that! I love the stories that go with these recipes. I'm like Debbie, a big fan of the magical fruit. Thanks for adding to the carnival. You made it fun.

bj said...

Nothing much better in the world than baked beans...only thing better....HOMEMADE baked beans.
These sound so good....
bj

Cristina Elizabeth said...

Yum yummers, missing my mommy's cookin'... :(