Saturday, May 23, 2009

Just call us the Clampetts

Because 25 de Mayo is a big holiday (sort of equivalent to our 4th of July) we have time off and decided, last minute, to come to Sta. Rosa and get some work done. So we loaded up the truck trailer .......wouldn't a rocker on top be just the thing? Hubby plans to mow, power wash the roof (traditional red tile) and dig to find out what the problem is with the septic.

I brought my sewing machine. You're just shocked, aren't you?! LOL I'm looking forward to making those shopping bags as well as curtains for the loft area in the study. I have three fabrics I'm going to "audition" in there.

The house has been closed up since the last time we were here, so it was COLD. And we all know how I feel about the cold. So first thing hubby started a fire in the wood stove while I huddled under the fleece throw I remembered to bring. BUT I forgot blankets for the bed. Previously we had brought boxes that included twin-size blankets so we made do with those. They just barely stretched from side to side on the queen size mattress with maybe a 1" overhang. We were warm enough; actually hated to get out of bed this morning and waited until hubby had the fire going again.

Next time I need to remember the blankets AND a set of flannel sheets we brought from the U.S. Nice, thick, heavy-weight flannel by Land's End I bought on clearance at Sear's a few years ago. I love flannel sheets in the winter! Especially out here where the wood stove keeps the chill off the bedrooms but doesn't exactly keep them warm. Or maybe it does if you build a nice big roaring fire. Which we didn't since we didn't have a lot of wood.

Hubby is remedying that as I write. There's a small lumber mill at the end of the road and they told him we could take as much wood off the scrap pile as we wanted. So he took the trailer and will fill it up with nice free fire wood.

The parrots are especially raucous this morning. I suppose I'll get used to their racket eventually. Every place we've lived there has been some kind of noise (trains, heavy traffic, dogs) and after a while you just don't even notice it.

I also brought along a book that arrived in the mail yesterday. Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day was featured on The Splendid Table about a year ago. Having attempted -- and failed -- to make bread on numerous occasions, I figure this is my last hope: no-knead, store in the fridge, almost-no-work-involved bread making.

Looking at the book makes me hungry but also motivates me to cook. Not just bread -- anything! Because I want to get back into the habit of posting recipes on Saturdays and since it's also a holiday weekend in the U.S., today I'm sharing recipes for a simple but special breakfast for Monday morning. How about luxury scrambled eggs (from The Splendid Table) and quick orange muffins (because it's a holiday and you don't want to spend all morning in the kitchen):

LUXURY SCRAMBLED EGGS WITH CREAM CHEESE & SPRING HERBS
* 1 large whole scallion, thin sliced
* 1/2 tight-packed tablespoon curly parsley leaves, chopped
* 1/2 tight-packed tablespoon fresh basil or tarragon leaves, chopped
* 6 large eggs
* 2 tablespoons heavy cream
* 3 ounces cream cheese, cut into about 3/4-inch pieces
* Salt and fresh-ground black pepper as needed
* 2 tablespoons butter
1. Combine the chopped herbs. In a medium bowl, use a fork to loosely combine the eggs and cream. Stir in cream cheese, the herbs, and a little salt and pepper. Eggs do not have to be completely blended.
2. In a 10-inch heavy nonstick skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the eggs and stir with a spatula for a few seconds.
3. Lower heat to medium low and keep stirring, scraping up any egg sticking to the pan, for 3 minutes, or until large curds form. Eggs can be served almost wet, moist yet approaching firm (my preference), or quite firm. Serve hot.

QUICK ORANGE MUFFINS
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup white sugar
* 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
* 2/3 cup orange juice
* 1/2 cup melted butter
* 2 eggs
* 1/2 cup ground walnuts (optional)
* 1 tablespoon melted butter
* 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, white sugar and grated orange peel. Stir in orange juice, 1/2 cup melted butter, eggs and chopped nuts.
2. Pour into 12 muffin cups.
3. Blend 1 tablespoon melted margarine, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and sprinkle on top of each muffin. Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) oven for 20-25 minutes. Serve hot.

********

P.S. In the package along with the book was a bath pillow! Love me a hot bubble bath but we don't have a tub, only a shower, at our house in Carlos Paz. BUT the house in Sta. Rosa does have a tub. So that package arrived just in time. Woohoo!

4 comments:

Mari said...

Yummy recipes! Have good time and get those bags made!

Skoots1moM said...

i can smell that fire...i so miss that smell...hubby's allergies prevent my being able to enjoy that in the fall/winter.

hope hubby has no big problem with the septic tank...that sounds like a lot of work, and he may want a bath later to soothe his expected-to-be-hurting back.

eager to see a pic of your bags...did you bring the camera?
:)

riTa Koch said...

Early anniversary getaway?
Enjoy! Just think, it can't be as cold as in Dr. Zhivago!
Tried the potato-peeling trick last night and the potato salad recipe for our weekend guests. Could have cooked the taters longer, but good. The trick didn't work as well as expected, but worth the try. I won't give up just yet.

Sharon said...

The picture of the car and trailer reminded me of the last time I saw you... driving away ...pulling a trailer...me trying to stem the tears... (I think we also made the joke about all you needed was a rocker on top!)
Since I read 4 days of blogging at once I will also comment on your most recent post: I may not be a faithful commenter but I KNOW that I miss you the most and that I'm your biggest fan. SO THERE!