Sunday, May 17, 2009

Week 20, Project 365

I really meant to take more pictures of people this week. But when you're in the middle of doing, it's hard to remember. I hauled my camera to art class and back without ever taking it out of its case. *sigh* Hopefully this coming week I'll actually take some photos during class.

Last week I mentioned going to the street fair in Cordoba but forgot to show why. When we visited the big XXVII Feria International de Artesanians back in April we ordered a little sign for the front of our house. The artesan sets up at the street fair in Cordoba every weekend so when the sign was finished, we needed to stop by and pick it up. We'll use it while we live here and then take it with us when we go as a piece of memorabilia ☺ Our trip to the zoo garnered several share-worthy photos. I don't know if you can tell, but there's another bird on the other side of the cage. These two would chatter at each other and then suddenly peck at one another. Muy divertido! I've never been this up-close and personal with an anteater before. They're actually very bizarre looking animals. At first I couldn't tell which end was the head and which was the tail. There are no limits to the lengths I'll go to embarrass myself on the world wide web and here's proof. But honestly we were simply carrying on a family tradition. The hubby remembers standing in front of this same mirror with two of his brothers while his parents took a photo on a trip to this zoo many, many years ago. So let's think of it less as an embarrassing photo and more as a historical reenactment, shall we? Mid-May here is equivalent to mid-November in the U.S. Can you believe I still have flowers blooming in my yard?! The moussaka recipe I posted yesterday results in yummy goodness like this...layers of vegetable, meat and cheese in perfect harmony. The hubby worked hard this week to prepare a garden area at the back of our yard and then we we planted some winter vegetables. I can hardly wait to harvest fresh peas, radishes, green onions, cabbage and lettuce. All seeds were free, provided by the municipality to those who attended the talk on organic gardening recently. I bought my first book in Spanish; I found this novel by Fannie Flagg on sale at Walmart for $3.75 US. I'm thinking it will take a LONG time to read this at the rate I go! This week we took more time to explore the section of town where all the antique stores are located. Besides the bigger stores along the main road, there were all these little rabbit warrens of shops tucked back off the street. There would be a door or maybe a little larger opening like this, and we'd walk back to find a bunch of wee tiny stores selling everything from clothing to handcrafted items to antiques. Frequently there'd also be a little cafe. How fun is that?! Now go visit the others who are involved in Project 365 -- lots of fun photos this week!

11 comments:

Mari said...

I love the sign! And - the picture in the mirror is so cute!

Skoots1moM said...

what cute little people!!
and a great story to go with it...

things there are so colorful
i'd love to visit those shops with you...best we'd have fun!

wow, the birds/awesome and the anteater/wonderfully weird...i often wonder about God's creation...bizarre!

i want one of those hanging tomato plants...guess i need to order it before summer is over


one of my students at youth is getting ready to read TWILIGHT in spanish...i think that would be so neat to read the difference from english...a wonderful new perspective and description

riTa Koch said...

That is a beautiful sign, and a special recuerdo.
Flowers, birds, cute 'historical' photo, strange oso hormiguero, garden, yummy moussaka, café...You always have a wonderful and fascinating series of photos.
I was rapidly scanning your older posts today to find a particular one, and was struck by how great your photos are.
We will have to put together a photo-book of the year after this experience! (Thanks, Sara!)

sara said...

the sign is beautiful..did he hand paint it?

the mirror pic is great...but the story makes it...not embarrassing at all!!

I love going to the zoo. We are taking our kids to the memphis zoo this summer..was rated #1 in US last year...can't wait

You don't know how many times I do something and when it is over say "shoot, I didn't take a picture!" You'd think after almost 6 months, I would be used to it!

Willys and Elizabeth (Lizzie) said...

I love the sign you got... at first I thought maybe you made it in art class... great picture of you and Uncle Ivan :-)

Heidi said...

This is what I mean about other people's pictures! My daughter hogs the camera someone gave me several years ago for Christmas. Sooo, I am looking at getting another just for myself so I can get some more pics for my blog. I love yours!

Thanks for visiting my blog- be a follower if you want. I'm trying to add to it every couple of days. I like to share/write and comments are so much fun! So many wonderful people out in blogland, aren't there?

Heidi

Becky said...

Love the zoo. The sign is wonderful. So colorful.

Good luck with your garden:-)

Lara said...

I love your pictures Kim and I love hearing about what you've been doing!

SusanD said...

That sign is awesome. I'm very impressed that you're taking the challenge of reading an entire book in Spanish. Blessings, SusanD

lynn hoyt said...

You're amazing, Kim! Such photography! Both with a camera and with words you give us descriptions we can feel! Thanks!

Esthermay Bentley-Goossen said...

Your photos are AMAZING!
The anteater has always been a colossal mystery to me. I called my children in to see it. We love discussing why the CREATOR created such oddities like turtles and anteaters and crickets and walking sticks..... My children are oooo'ing and ahhh'ing at that anteater of yours right now (it's up on my second monitor).

All your photos are so clear and crisp and full of such color!

Great sign! Thank you for sharing your week with us and for sharing your talent with that camera.