Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency

The original book in the series by Alexander McCall Smith charmed us. Mma. Precious Ramotswe, a woman of "traditional build", uses her inheritance to start the first ladies detective agency in Botswana. Such a simple premise but rich with engaging characters, the sights and smells of Africa (Smith does a fabulous job conveying them), and amusing story lines. My hubby, who reads very little fiction, enjoys these books along with me.

We were delighted to hear they were being made into a series by the BBC! Last night we watched the first episode. Qué bueno! Precious, Mma Makutsi, and Mr J.L.B. Matekoni are exactly how we envisioned them! How often does that happen? The BBC does a fantastic job of converting the flavor of the books into film and we look forward to following their adventures in Botswana (filmed on location).

In other exciting news from yesterday...I had my hair cut. It was a couple weeks overdue but couldn't be helped. I should have had it done right before conference but was just a wee bit busy at that point. And then I was busy being a wee bit sick. So finally yesterday we made it over to Florencia's new shop and she trimmed both of us up. That was my big outing for the day since Spanish was at our house.

In Spanish we started out talking about our trip into Cordoba on Monday, and I mentioned the scrumptious homemade flan we'd had at lunch which led to us looking up the receta online, actually several recetas for flan since there's a vast variety. Who knew?! I have a growing list of cooking terms to work on in the process.

Today we'll be working on art related terms.

While getting art supplies on Monday I also picked up some gorgeous batik paper in luscious Spring colors: lavender, green, melon pink, orange, yellow and blue. Not sure exactly what I'm going to do with it, but I foresee some card making in my future. Right now it's enough to just look at it ☺ Anyone else have a paper fetish? I know my daughter does! She and I once spent half a day in a paper store in Georgetown (and I used my most excellent finds to make the invitations to the bridal shower I was hosting my soon-to-be daughter-in-law). I don't have any specific occasion in mind for this paper but I'm sure something will come up.

8 comments:

Debbie said...

So are we going to get a photo of the new haircut?

Mari said...

I love that book series! I think we need a picture of the haircut too!

Willys and Elizabeth (Lizzie) said...

I have never heard of that book series before so I am going to check it out... thanks for sharing!

Ma Hoyt said...

I just read that book a few weeks ago and absolutely loved it! Picked it up at Goodwill, so that turned into a good buy and a need to read the rest.

Skoots1moM said...

i don't know that series of books but will check it out...maybe i'll find some at goodwill to!

is the bbc series in english? with the name i wasn't sure if i might have to learn spanish first :)

we're headed to the shop this week for dd to get ready for prom...her first one! she's excited and i'm nervous...they'll be going to dinner at Cheescake factory and then to the FOX. I so remember those fun times (but i wasn't a mother then) ha ha

Hope your class goes well...
as to the paper fetish...i have a card fetish...i love buying greeting cards, funny, silly, stupid, pretty artwork, photos, especially precious animals...i have to MAKE myself mail them when I need them for friends. I think it all goes back to my love of photography and art in general. I could definitely bide my time in a card shop or paper shop, and forget about saving time if i'm looking for a scrap book sheet...and i rarely scrapbook :)

riTa Koch said...

Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni!
I listened to the audio version. Absolutely delightful, especially the oft repeated names, always in their entirety! I'll have to check out the BBC series.

Robin Lambright said...

I love beautiful paper and stationary. Back in the day (way back in the day when I was a student) I used to love to make my own paper. I would spend hours searching for interesting bits of leaf or petals to add just the right touch. I have not made any in decades. I always have some nice stationary around, I love beautiful note cards and paper.

All this remembering when makes me want to run to Hobby Lobby for paper making supplies.

I am right in the middled of a garden project so I have to stay focused maybe in the fall???

Blessings
Robin

PS: just doing some catch up reading, hope your sniffer gets back to normal soon as well as the frige.

Anonymous said...

I love nice paper, but I am a sucker for new journals and pens.

I loved those books. How rare it is when the producers manage to capture a good book on film! I'll have to keep my eye out for the BBC series.