Monday, October 20, 2008

Apple Puff Pancake OR Tarta de Manzanas



It was an easy decision to participate in Linda's Fall Into Flavor this Monday because twice in the past week I've served this dish that's so easy and so fast to make, I'm sure it will become a favorite at your house too!

And because both times I was asked for the recipe, which required some translation (i.e., chewing of nails, looking in bilinguial dictionary, asking the hubby for help and finally having my Spanish tutor proof it -- Thanks Marcela!), I'm sharing it in English AND Spanish!

Apple Puff Pancake

3-4 apples
2-3 T. butter
1/3 c. brown sugar
6 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
1/2 t. vanilla
2-3 T. powdered sugar
Cook peeled and sliced apples in butter in a large skillet (I use my cast iron skillet but you can use any kind) until apples are soft. Add brown sugar and stir for one more minute, then take off heat.
Beat together the eggs, milk, flour and vanilla until well mixed. Pour over apple mixture and bake at 350° for 20-30 minutes. I know that's a wide range of time but it depends on your oven and skillet. When it has puffed up the sides and turned golden brown, it's done.
Remove from oven, let sit for 5 minutes (the hardest part!), dust with powdered sugar. Slice and eat.

Tarta de Manzana
3-4 manzanas
25 g. manteca
1/3 taza azúcar negra
6 huevos
1 taza harina
1 taza leche
1/2 cucharadita esencia de vainilla
azúcar impalpable
Pelar y cortar en rodajas las manzanas. Cocer en manteca en una sartén grande hasta que esté blanda. Agregar azúcar negra y cocer un minuto.
Batir los huevos, la harina, la leche y la vainilla hasta que tenga consistencia uniforme. Vertir sobre las manzanas. Cocer al horno a 180°C por 20-30 minutos.
Remover del horno y espolvorear con azúcar impalpable.

I'm not much of an apple snob when it comes to cooking with them. I'll use whatever is on hand. Now for eating out of hand, nothing beats a good Honey Crisp. Unfortunately that variety has not made its way this far south yet. So y'all eat a few for me, okay? And be sure to check out all the other great recipes that folks are sharing!

7 comments:

riTa Koch said...

¡Quiero probarlo hoy mismo!

Cindy Swanson said...

This looks "maravilloso," Kim! (I probably spelled that wrong!) Kudos to you for posting it in Spanish as well!

Have a great day...

larkswing said...

Ooooh, apple puff pancakes! Sounds delish!

Thanks for coming by, and yes, can probably find the stuffing online :) Or, I think cubed bread - leave it out to get a little hard, should work just fine!

Skoots1moM said...

girrrrrl, i can't wait to try this.
I just cut up fresh apples from my Mom's yard...and they are wonderfully flavorful, so this is really gonna be nice.
hope this finds all well!!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing, Kim. Btw, did you send me a message today about viewing a blog of yours? It was from a "Kim," but I can't open it up.

Susanne said...

Yummy! I've heard so much about these but have never tried them. I've really got get to it because I love apple stuff!

Jerralea said...

This sounds interesting. I've never tried something like that before. I do happen to have a cast iron skillet and some apples!

I'm late going to all the links this week!