Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Caught Up On Paperwork & Indulging In A Little Sewing

Two days I've spent on paperwork. TWO DAYS. But it's done. Bills are paid, reports completed and thank you cards mailed. Woohoo!

I finished around 3 p.m. today and immediately plugged in the sewing machine and had at it. Not much time before starting dinner and going to church but I did get the backing on three small batiks. Long ago (as in years) I'd trimmed them out with bright, happy colors but had never gotten around to figuring out how to back them. During my last Goodwill foray I found a long measure of black fabric (about 3-4 yards) which I immediately knew would work great for this purpose.

Basically I cut pieces large enough to create about a 1" border, sewed two pieces back to back with a small opening, turned them out and ironed them, then centered the batiks, sewing just along the edges. Not an exact science since the batiks were a little wonky in shape and I didn't square them up first. But I think the wonky just adds charm. Now I just need to sew up some sleeves and attach those for hanging. Aren't these the cutest batiks? I'm thinking the animal ones would look great in a nursery. And the two at the top are ones I did actually finish a few months ago. But they were handy so I threw them into the photo :-)

I love this village scene. The others will serve as gifts, but I think I'll just have to keep this one for myself.

I am totally loving my new (to me) sewing machine! And hope to fit in some more sewing tomorrow but we'll have to see how it goes. I've already bought material to make gifts for some upcoming occasions and am afraid there won't be time to make them.

No comments: