Friday, July 4, 2008

God Bless The U.S.A.!

Possibly another one of those "last time we do this" events? Celebrating the good ole 4th of July in the good ole United States. With family and friends. Eating typically American food. Watching the fireworks. Reflecting on the favor God has showed our country.

So whatcha eatin' today??? Inquiring minds want to know. Our menu includes pulled pork sandwiches, pork 'n beans (of course I'll doctor 'em up), corn casserole, jello salad, tossed salad, and WATERMELON! Seed spitting contest, anyone?

And if my SIL has time, she's making flan. Which is one of my fav-o-rite desserts. Anytime of year :-)

The nap 'o yesterday didn't quite work out. I just found it hard to get to sleep amidst the activities taking place. So after an hour of trying, I got up and determined to get to bed early. Which I did. At 8 o'clock. Not to sleep right away, but I did read for a while and drifted off around ten (I think). Wonderful!!! Woke up feeling so refreshed at 7 a.m. Ahhhhhh, life is good.

In my childhood memories, it was always cool on the 4th. I'm sure that's not true of every single year, but that's how I remember it. We'd get up early and head to Stony Creek Park in the metro area and spend the day with family and friends. Mom would always dress us in shorts but we'd wear our jackets 'cause it was quite cool at first light o'clock in the morning. And for some reason I remember wearing that jacket all day long. Of course it could be 'cause I was super skinny back then and my "puny" little arms and legs just never got warm. *sigh* Those were the days. No one has accused me of being "puny" for many years.

What memories will we make today? There'll be 16 here, including our kids. Times like these make me feel so blessed. Overwhelmed by the goodness of God.

No comments: