Saturday, July 12, 2008

Summer Stuffed Tomatoes

Is there anything more wondrous than a sun ripened tomato fresh off the vine? During the season we have tomatoes at almost every meal, including breakfast. My offering for this Saturday Stirrings is Summer Stuffed Tomatoes, a great way to use those large beef steak tomatoes! And then I have an extra little treat to share (both recipes are from Amish cookbooks). Don't forget to hop on over to I Throw Like A Girl and check out the other recipes!

SUMMER STUFFED TOMATOES
Remove small slice across top of stem end of LARGE, FIRM, RIPE TOMATOES. Carefully scoop out most of the pulp of tomatoes, leaving shells intact.
Combine chopped pulp with:
1 cup chopped, cooked, cold chicken
1 chopped celery stick
1 teaspoon minced onion (I usually add more)
2 Tablespoons chopped green pepper
2 chopped hard-cooked eggs
2 teaspoons prepared mustard
Enough mayonnaise to moisten and bind ingredients together.
Refill tomato shells with mixtures. Chill. Serve cold.
[Note: Tuna can be substituted for chicken.]

Now this next recipe would have been perfect when I was first married and (1) we were poor college students and could have used some free sources of alternative meat items, and (2) I could have, in all seriousness, put up the sign "Dinner is ready when the smoke alarm goes off".

DANDELIONS AND EGGS
Fry dandelion greens in butter until they are crisp. They will turn black but they are not burned, as long as you continue to add butter while frying. Also add salt. If you can still see green, they need more frying. When they are done, put eggs on top, cover the pan and turn the burner off. Let set until eggs are done.
These greens taste like bacon and eggs, but it takes a little practice to cook them just right.

So I say, who's going to know if you've cooking them just right if they're supposed to be black?!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The summer stuffed tomatoes sound wonderful. I will definitely be trying those. Dandelion greens? I will have to sneak out at night to pick them and not tell my husband what they are until after I cook them and he tries them. But I like to try new things and they sound good!

Thanks for posting these at Saturday Stirrings!

riTa Koch said...

I just had me a version of your summer stuffed tomato....mmmmmmmmmm